Special Ride: Diverged
Friday evening UPDATE:
- The ROUTE is now available, download it to your GPS, but follow carefully and watch even more carefully for passing pedestrians, cars and countless other unexpected twists, turns and obstacles.
- There are multiple turn-back spots – the route doesn’t go too far from Lexington Center (though it will hit trails you’ve never been on before). So don’t worry about the length or time of the ride.
- There will be two food stops along the way.
- Multiple speed groups will be on the road. There will be a group that will likely be going your pace. The fastest group will be riding 17+ mph on the road and ~12mph when off-road. The slowest group will be riding ~14mph on the road and 7 mph on the trails.
- Fenders are no longer required as the route will be almost completely dry. If you haven’t put fenders on your bike yet, we suggest holding off on them.
More details (nothing below changed since this ride was originally announced):
The Ride Studio Cafe is hosting a very special early spring ride! This adventure is a bit different from anything we’ve previously conjured. Honey Bikes is putting the route together in order to highlight two of Honey’s most interesting bikes: The Winterando and the All Roads. This ride is tailored specifically for these two bikes – and that means that a lot of bikes may not be too happy on this route.
Ride: Diverged Ride. About 70k of pavement, gravel, dirt, and rocks. About 35k unpaved. Some singletrack, too. We expect the ride to take between 3 to 4.5 hours
When: Saturday, April 6 at 10 am
Where: Departing from Ride Studio Cafe.
Why: Honey Ride! All bikes welcome – with some required modifications – see below.
How: On randonee bikes – or modified cyclocross bikes – see details below.
The ride’s name - Diverged – comes from Robert Frost’s poem The Road Not Taken. Because on this ride, we’re taking all the roads and trails. We’re fortunate to have bikes, rather than being on foot, so divergence is a good word. Because this ride is a bit unusual we have a few special bike requirements.
Might be a Bit of Ice for Good Measure
- 28c tires, minimum size. If you don’t have 28c or wider, you’ll be riding alone after you get a flat.
- Spare tube or two – with all the tools required to fix a flat – or two.
- Fenders – at least a rear fender. Because it’s likely to be wet at this time of year. (4/5/12 update: no longer required)
- Basic tool kit: Self sufficiency is the phrase of the day. The group will wait for you if you have a mechanical – in fact we’ll even help – but you don’t want people waiting trail-side too long on a chilly morning.
If you don’t have one or more of these items, you’ll want to get them at the Ride Studio Cafe before that Saturday morning.
Honey Rides are Fun
Because Honey is hosting this ride there’ll be two special happenings – at least:
- Honey Bikes Special Offer: Exclusively for Diverged Ride participants, with the purchase of any Honey, through the end of April your choice of either:
- Free Labor on a set of hand-built wheels, valued at $140
- 50% off custom painted fenders, valued at $175
- Free Limited Edition “Honey Seeker” t-shirt along with a Limited Edition Honey cycling cap made in North American, valued at $120
Honey-Centric Pre-Ride Breakfast – on the house at the Studio starting at 9am:
- Honey with biscuits and butter
- Honey, bananas, and almond butter on sourdough bread
- Honeyed Greek yogurt
- Honeyed oatmeal
- Honey cappuccino
This ride offers an extremely diverse set of terrain. On the one hand, Honey has ridden the entire route on a 23c road bike and had a blast. On the other hand, a few have ridden the route on a fully decked out cyclocross bike – knobbies and all – and felt that a mountain bike might have been nice. So, this ride has it all, a bit of technical handling all the way to multiple kilometer stretches of paved road. Bring your 28c+ tired bike and you will have a blast.
Rain or shine, we’ll be smiling through the entire ride.
If you’d like to join the ride, please RSVP in advance – we’ll save a biscuit for you!