Mixed Terrain Night Ride
The evening mixed-terrain NIGHT ride takes cyclists all over Lexington and beyond. We can almost guarantee you’ll be introduced to a few trails you haven’t ridden. The ride takes paved roads to trails, dirt roads, grassy areas, and other places off the beaten path.
UPDATE: The ride is running the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month at 6:30pm, returning no later than 8:00pm. We have a designated RSC Super Domestique leading the ride and pointing out turns. We don’t have a sweep rider for this ride so only participate if you’re confident in your skill level and fitness.
Lights are required for the ride. Be sure to have adequately bright lights to see ahead on the trail and that will last the duration of the ride. Bring a rear tail light that has a steady mode that won’t blind the rider behind you.
We do not recommend fenders since sticks and twigs can get caught in them.
The proper bike for this ride includes the following:
- 32c knobby tires minimum. Wider tires are nice, too. Tire choice depends on your riding skill set.
- Clipless pedals and shoes. These are important elements of bike control. If you ride with platform pedals you’re likely to be over your head in some of the more technical parts of the ride.
- A bike that’s in safe working order. We don’t stop for preventable mechanical issues.
- Higher tire pressure than you’d ride on a cyclocross ride. We recommend about 80% to 90% of maximum rated tire pressure, for two reasons:
- First, we want to minimize flats on the ride; waiting for someone to change flats is not why we ride. We typically see zero flats on our ride. One of the primary reasons for this is due to higher than average tire pressure.
Second, on average, about 50% of the ride is on pavement; having slightly higher pressure makes the road sections go by faster.
Is the ride cancelled? Assume the ride is ON unless you see a Tweet indicating otherwise.
Watch Twitter for last-minute ride announcements and cancellations when the trails are not rideable due to weather. We will Tweet at least 1 hour in advance if the ride is cancelled. Feel free to call us at (339) 970-0187, too.
How do we decide if we’re having the mixed-terrain ride each week?
- Thunder storms: If there’s a 33% or greater chance of a thunder storm at 7:30 pm, we don’t ride. It is not safe to get caught out in a thunder storm.
- Rain or sleet: There are a few variants of this. We don’t ride sensitive trails when they’re wet; this can cause damage that’s not repairable. Fortunately, we have some rain friendly routes that don’t damage sensitive trails.
- If it’s raining at 6:30 pm we cancel the ride. If it’s only threatening to rain, we ride.
- If it’s misting or drizzling at 6:30 pm, with less than 50% chance of rain in the coming hour, we ride.
- If it’s been raining a lot for a couple days, but not raining Wednesday evening, we ride. Our rain friendly routes avoid sensitive trails. Of course, every few years there’s such a bad storm that we won’t ride on a Thursday; we take the force majeure very seriously.
- Snowing: We ride; it is so much fun to ride during a snow storm.
- Snow on the ground: We ride. It doesn’t matter if there’s 1 inch or four feet, we ride. We recommend studded tires or fat bikes for these kinds of conditions. The only exclusion to snow riding is when there is a state of emergency and we’ve been asked to stay off the road.
- Icy conditions: We ride. For this you have to have studded tires in order to ride with us.
- Cold: It doesn’t matter what the temperature is, we ride.
- Ride leader: A couple times a year we don’t have a designated ride leader. It’s not fair for us to send you out without someone to help guide. Of course, if you want to ride at 6:30 pm without a ride leader, you are more than welcome to!
Come by before 6:00pm so you can make any last minute bike adjustments or fuel up on something in the Cafe.
|Ride||Sunday Mixed Terrain Ride|
|Type of ride||Mixed Terrain|
|Day||Biweekly- 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month|
|Departing from||Ride Studio Cafe|
|Estimated time in the saddle||About 1.5 hours|
|Distance||Approximately 15 miles|
|Average speed||10-12 mph in the woods, 15-16 mph on the back road|
|Difficulty rating||Difficult to hold a conversation; intermediate to difficult; We ride together|
|Rain information||Rain or shine, though we may cancel if the weather is dangerous or miserable. Watch Twitter, we'll cancel at least an hour in advance if it's not on. Put a fender on your bike if it's rainy.|
|Coordinators||Email questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org|
All riders are required to read and are expected to abide by These Rules.
Waiver: RSC requires a signed waiver before your first ride. Please fill it out online prior to your first ride.
What to bring: