Sunday Morning Mixed Terrain Ride
January 1, 2017 Update: Today we’re offering a 5pm mixed terrain Winter Wonderland Ride – so this ride is canceled so you can join in on that one. Also, at Ride Headquarters, the Burning Snowflake Resolution Ride is happening at 12pm – lots of mixed terrain options for you today! This ride will resume next Sunday.
Watch Twitter for last-minute ride announcements and cancellations when the trails are not rideable due to weather. We will Tweet at least 1 hour in advance if the ride is cancelled. Feel free to call us at (339) 970-0187, too; we’re here at 8:00 am on Sundays.
How do we decide if we’re having the mixed-terrain ride each week?
- Thunder storms: If there’s a 33% or greater chance of a thunder storm at 9:30 am, we don’t ride. It is not safe to get caught out in a thunder storm.
- Rain or sleet: There are a few variants of this. We don’t ride sensitive trails when they’re wet; this can cause damage that’s not repairable. Fortunately, we have some rain friendly routes that don’t damage sensitive trails.
- If it’s raining at 9:30 we cancel the ride. If it’s only threatening to rain, we ride.
- If it’s misting or drizzling at 9:30, with less than 50% chance of rain in the coming hour, we ride.
- If it’s been raining a lot for a couple days, but not raining on Sunday morning, we ride. Our rain friendly routes avoid sensitive trails. Of course, every few years there’s such a bad storm that we won’t ride on a Sunday; we take the force majeure very seriously.
- Snowing: We ride; it is so much fun to ride during a snow storm.
- Snow on the ground: We ride. It doesn’t matter if there’s 1 inch or four feet, we ride. We recommend studded tires or fat bikes for these kinds of conditions. The only exclusion to snow riding is when there is a state of emergency and we’ve been asked to stay off the road.
- Icy conditions: We ride. For this you have to have studded tires in order to ride with us.
- Cold: It doesn’t matter what the temperature is, we ride. The coldest Sunday ride started at 5 degrees. It was a blast!
- Ride leader: A couple times a year we don’t have a designated ride leader. It’s not fair for us to send you out without someone to help guide. Of course, if you want to ride at 9:30 without a ride leader, you are more than welcome to!
The Sunday morning mixed-terrain ride takes cyclists all over Lexington and beyond. We can almost guarantee you’ll be introduced to a few trails you haven’t ridden. The ride takes paved roads to trails, dirt roads, grassy areas, and other places off the beaten path.
The ride departs at 9:30 am and returns no later than 12:00 noon; we ride based on time rather than distance. We have a designated RSC Super Domestique leading the ride and pointing out turns. We don’t have a sweep rider for this ride so only participate if you’re confident in your skill level and fitness.
The proper bike for this ride includes the following:
- 32c knobby tires minimum. Wider tires are nice, too. Tire choice depends on your riding skill set.
- Clipless pedals and shoes. These are important elements of bike control. If you ride with platform pedals you’re likely to be over your head in some of the more technical parts of the ride.
- A bike that’s in safe working order. We don’t stop for preventable mechanical issues.
- Higher tire pressure than you’d ride on a cyclocross ride. We recommend about 80% to 90% of maximum rated tire pressure, for two reasons:
- First, we want to minimize flats on the ride; waiting for someone to change flats is not why we ride. We typically see zero flats on our ride. One of the primary reasons for this is due to higher than average tire pressure.
- Second, on average, about 50% of the ride is on pavement; having slightly higher pressure makes the road sections go by faster.
Come by at least 15-minutes early so you can make any last minute bike adjustments or fuel up on something in the Cafe. We open at 8am on Sundays.
|Ride||Sunday Mixed Terrain Ride|
|Type of ride||Mixed Terrain|
|Departing from||Ride Studio Cafe|
|Estimated time in the saddle||About 2 hours|
|Distance||Approximately 17 miles|
|Average speed||10-12 mph in the woods, 15-16 mph on the back road|
|Difficulty rating||Difficult to hold a conversation; intermediate to difficult; We ride together|
|Rain information||Rain or shine, though we may cancel if the weather is dangerous or miserable. Watch Twitter, we'll cancel at least an hour in advance if it's not on. Put a fender on your bike if it's rainy.|
|Coordinators||Email questions to: email@example.com|
All riders are required to read and are expected to abide by These Rules.
Waiver: RSC requires a signed waiver before your first ride. Please fill it out online prior to your first ride.
What to bring: